RSC17 week 10

NEW HOUSES

This week I got so excited when I read a post from Nell about some improv houses made the stack-and-whack  way.  She directed me to The Stash Bee, June Hive 9 tutorial.  Starting with four different 10-in squares, the cutting is done freehand.  In no time I had made a set of four wonky houses, which I love, love, love. 

Last night I made another set in reds for March RSC.

They finish at 8.5 inches square, which is a size I’ve used for 16-patch and improv blocks last year.  I plan on combining them with some blocks like that.  These don’t replace my 6.5-inch houses to go with my little boats.  Why do these projects keep mutiplying so fast?  
I also made my March crayon strip.  I’m including some rosy colors as well, not really pink.
On Monday I took my Farm Boy quilt to show at Monona Quilters.  Everyone liked the double-sided Project Linus quilt, especially here in Wisconsin with so many children living on or acquainted with farms.  

I also volunteered to make a neonatal flannel blanket that is already precut.  
My stack of Kaffe Fassett blocks for my Summer quilt is now up to 14 of the 30 needed.  This is the one I made this morning after pondering the choices overnight.  I love the roses, but the companion fabrics were harder to decide on.  When you get it right, it just sings to you.

Meanwhile I am in charge of our senior complex second Show and Tell Quilt Event.  Folks bring their family quilts and tell us the stories about them.  The one three years ago was a big success and the population here has changed, so there will be other quilts and stories.  My goal is to make people aware of the treasures they have and be able to pass them along to their families.
I hope each of you is able to make someone aware of our quilt gems this month.
Why not check out all the fun posts at
 Rainbow Scrap Challenge at

Sew Some Love, 3/8

FARM BOY QUILT

This is a donation to Project Linus through my local quilt guild, Monona Quilters in WI.  I’ve been donating to Project Linus for three years. The guild has two charity collections a year, donating to many local charities such as the VA hospital, half way houses, NICU units at the UW Madison Childerns Hospital and others. They collected about 300 quilts last year from about 40-50 members.
This is the front, using a charm pack, Apple Hill Farm from RJR fabrics, plus jelly roll strips.  It is about 43 inches square.

The back is farm scene yardage from my stash, plus some jelly roll strips .
This is also going to the UW Madison hospital and will surely delight some child living in this farm country, who loves tractors and farm animals.  
I’m happy to be sharing this with Sew Some Love at 

Kat and Cat Quilts

RSC17 week 7

A HANDY TIP, A TOP AND BACK
Due to lack of space I don’t have a design wall or a floor to leave things on.  So I’m passing along my idea for a design tray, which is very handy.  In the photo below you see a bright painting done by sweet Sarah, laying on its side.  I keep it there below my work table to help hide the “stuff” under the table, boxes of fabric, my cutting mat and large rulers, etc.  
When I turn it over it is a nice big tray for arranging block pieces.  The surface is rough so they don’t slip and can even stand upright without falling off.  Here I’m testing the layout for my crayon block of 2 by 5 inch strips.  It is also very lightweight and can be easily moved or put on the table when I do piecing, so the pieces stay in order.  So if you have an unused stretched canvas or find an old one at a thrift store, I’m sure you will find it very useful.
Below is the finished crayon strip for February.  I’ll do the points when I finish all the strips.  By the way, a blogger, don’t remember who, mentioned an app for grouping photos.  I got Collage free for my iPad and like using it for a connected group like this.

My latest flimsy and back finish for my Project Linus Farm Boy quilt.  I showed you the top two weeks ago.

I was lucky to find this scenic farm fabric in my stash.  By adding the aqua and brick red strips it matches the front size and the sides will be trimmed to match.  It took only 15 minutes to make it!  

This is not due until May so I’m starting on a couple of other things, one for RSC17 and one for myself.
I read that poly batting is better for kids quilts because it dries fast in the dryer and is durable.  I was lucky to find a roll of it hiding behind some boxes today.  Hooray for free or forgotten things.  No need for Hobby Lobby this time.  
I’m really enjoying our spell of warm weather up to 60, hopefully the end of winter here.  I wish all of you dear friends a fun week whatever you are doing.  Just keep stitching!
Come join me and my friends at
 Rainbow Scrap Challenge at