RSC15 week 47

A  BUSY WEEK

Deadlines are a good thing for me and have kept me glued to the sewing machine this week, or so it seems.  On Monday I showed my finished butterfly quilt at our Monona Quilters meeting.
Now I am working on two table runners from the fruits and veggies fabrics, which are both to be given to friends before Thanksgiving.  I found exactly the right backing for them.  It is a very long deep valance with an African feeling.  After ripping miles of seams it was wide enough to also be binding as well as backing.  They are now ready for quilting.
Where is the lime green this time?  I have more than enough balloon blocks for a kids quilt.  So a friend and I  auditioned some sashing choices.

 I originally planned on using thin black strips, but the black was too depressing for a child’s quilt.
What about white?

The white did nothing for me or my friend.  She liked grey, but it made me feel sleepy, not happy.
Then the BIG IDEA hit. Why not use lime green sashing instead of making some extra blocks which I won’t even need?  Here is our trial photo.

Fortunately I have lots of extra lime green strips, so I will do 30 blocks for the front and a few extras on the back, but no lime green squares.  I will save my fun lime scraps on last week’s post to use for my plans for the new year.  Will announce them next week.

I link up with RSC15 at superscrappy.blogspot.com and Sew Cute Tuesday at blossomheartquilts.

RSC week 46

LOTS OF GREEN AND A LOVELY FINISH
It was fun finding the lime greens in my stash.  I found more cute ones than I expected, so I decided to finish my balloons and get started on a new block for RSC16, to see how I like doing it.  Can’t hurt to have a couple of lime green blocks on hand just because they are so pretty.  If and when I get the first new one done, you will be the first to know.

My big project this week was finishing the butterfly quilt I’ve been working on for months.  It is a throw size, disappearing 9-patch.  I used two charm packs with butterfly themes and assorted batiks.  It even has lime green in it.

I found a lovely raspberry batik in my stash, enough to add a nice border.  The backing was bought several years ago for a dress which never got made.  I quilted it on the diagonal, using lavender thread on the front and dark blue on the back. I bound it with the backing, finishing it yesterday morning.

Now I only have two projects with deadlines before Christmas,  in addition to trying to find a finish for my balloon blocks.  It’s been a great experience, a good feeling to be part of quilt blogging this year, thanks to all of you.
I link up with RSC15 at superscrappy.blogspot.com and Sew Cute Tuesday at blossomheartquilts.com.   Please check out the good things to see there.