This week I was getting tired of making little trees with tiny flip triangles. I looked through my stash to find something to reduce some of my ever-encroaching fabric. I also wanted to start a new quilt for Covered In Love.
I have a big bin full of batiks, mostly jelly roll strips in muted colors. They’ve been sitting around for years. So I dug into them and decided to make blocks. I fold the strip into four and measure this folded piece at 10-1/2 inches, and trim off the excess at the end with the selvages and one fold. With my scissors I also cut through the other looped end and have four equal strips. No rotary cutting needed. Then I chain pieced pairs of these strips.
To make about a 60 X 60 inch top I needed 15 strips of five pairs, (I know that’s only 50 inches, but there will be borders.) I felt that these pieces with a lot of brown could use a spark of orange, so I’ve been inserting narrow strips of bright orange batik randomly. I also staggered the blocks like bricks.
This went together so quickly that I finished one third of the top in no time. I’m very happy with it. There are so many prints and colors it reminds me of an Impressionist painting.
So that’s my contribution to RSC17 November brown and darks. I’ll be checking out your exciting posts for more new ideas.